Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Mirror of Love

My heart has struggled over the past many months with Noah's verbal difficulties, celiac testing, diet changes, Jillian's skin & delays, etc. And as I've walked through these things, people - lots of God's people - have come around me. with hugs. tears. prayer. emails. help. love. cups of tea. phone calls. laundry folding. Why do you all care?

The more love that has been poured out in my direction, the more I can feel the self-centerdness of my own heart. I care mostly about my children, my life, my happiness. I have cringed inside (this is going to be ugly) when I see other kids the same age as mine 'thriving'. I guess I want things to go well for others as long as it doesn't rival how well things are going for me and mine. God, forgive me! And yet You have sent women who have walked through (or are walking through currently) MUCH worse than eczema to care about and comfort ME?!

I'm working on memorizing Colossians this year (www.aholyexperience.com/) and the verses this week are: "We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God's people" Col 1:3-4

Why do Eunhee and her mom (whom I've never met) pray daily for my family? Why do friends care to sit with me and fold laundry, wisk me away to tea, send books in the mail or respond to updates? Where does that sort of love and compassion come from? It comes from Your heart (the compassionate ONE, the God of all comfort). You have manifested Your love, compassion and comfort for me in them! Could I please be so swallowed up by Your love that I would passionately pray for and love others too?

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." I Cor 1:3-4

3 comments:

  1. You are blessed to have that outreach. I am alone in Lynchburg. I've had not a single human hand reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les,

    We also had great challenges with "eczema" to the point of broken open bleeding. After much research and kindly grilling of our pediatric nurse, we looked into food allergies. The most common to cause "eczema" like symtoms are gluten, milk, egg and nuts. Took 2 weeks on each and individually removed from his diet. By the 5th week, we discussed little man is seriously allergic to gluten! Worth a try, maybe!

    Love and a hug!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,
    Thank you so much! We have transitioned to gluten/casein free for the whole family... but I haven't looked into eggs or nuts. We found out that from birth Jill had a systemic yeast infection that was messing her whole system up. That has just recently been licked, so the worst is behind us, but she's still getting periodic relapses. I may do some trial runs with eggs or nuts. Thank you for the info! Glad to hear that Levi's doing better!
    Love,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete